Partial Load Performance.
Non-linear loads such as variable frequency drives (VFDs) increase efficiency; however, they significantly pollute the power quality of the site and grid by introducing substantial harmonic current distortion (THD-i). The addition of a CTM GridDefender Passive Harmonic Filter reduces harmonic current distortion below 5%, ensuring compliance with IEEE-519 and protecting other on-site equipment. Furthermore, GridDefender filters perform well under partial load conditions, are generator compatible, and do not require drive control of capacitor contactors (simply customer connections).
- Typical Applications
- Six-Pulse Rectifier (generator compatible)
- Input Voltage / Frequency
- 480 V / 60 Hz
- Current Range
- 240 - 640 A
- Maximum THD-i
- <5% @ Full Load
<8% @ 25% Load
- Overload Capability
- 150% rated current for 1 minute
- Maximum Ambient Temperature
- 50 °C (122 °F)
(higher with de-rating)
- Enclosure Options
- Modular Panel
NEMA 3R Cabinet
- Capacitor Contactors
- Contactor for capacitor disconnect with automatic pickup and drop out (no drive connections required for control)
- Meets IEEE-519: VFDs introduce harmonic current distortion on the grid that can cause
problems for nearby equipment. The addition of a GridDefender filter
reduces current distortion below 5% THD-i, meeting IEEE-519
requirements and eliminating nuisance tripping of the drive, nearby
equipment, and circuit breakers.
- Simple Customer Connections (3 In / 3 Out): Control for capacitor contactors is maintained within the filter, with
automatic pickup and dropout. This feature greatly simplifies field
installation, only requiring three input and three output power
connections (temperature monitoring optional). Less connections
minimizes the chance of improper installation, which has caused
performance issues and failures in competitor filters.
- Excellent Partial Load Performance: GridDefender Harmonic Filters not only meet IEEE-519 requirements
under full load conditions, they also are designed for partial load
performance, with THD-i levels maintained below 8% all the way down
to 25% load.